Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  borgwarrior : (15 December 2014 - 05:53 AM) Is there any chance of my car "forgetting" the auto lock, after I've changed the radio to another, which is still stock? (By auto lock I mean the central lock engaging over 20-is mph)
@  Stratuscaster : (12 December 2014 - 10:42 PM) Cache table crashed. Should be fixed.

Photo

99 Stratus #8 Fuse blowing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 11:47 AM

Maybe you guys / gals have a clue on this one. I have a 99 Dodge Stratus with the 2.4 DOHC, Auto. The freakin #8 Fuse => Ing / Fuel Starter fuse under the hood blows, while the car is not running. You shut down the car, let it set like 8 hrs or ect, go back and hit the key nothing, pop the hood, and the fuse is blown. I'm very curious as to what the heck that is connected to to blow sitting there, or the case maybe after the start. Any ideas? :)

#2 Madstyle

Madstyle

Darkside MotorSports

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 11:53 AM

Seems like your Starter died on ya or iginition relay is shot.. wont know till a get it checked.. I put my money on the Dead Starter .

It pops everytime you try starting the car right?

Edited by Madstyle, 05 November 2003 - 11:54 AM.

#3 nstenz

nstenz

CAN HAZ TURBO???

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 05:15 PM

The dealer still hasn't found the problem with my car, which is doing the same thing. Yes, I got that desperate that I took it to the dealer.

So far, I've replaced the starter switch (in the ignition), the starter relay, and checked all of the wiring. It was a pain in the butt. Running a separate switch straight to the starter works, so I don't think it's the starter itself. When we jacked the car up and put a circuit breaker in the #8 spot, it would eventually turn over if I ran the car back and forth through the gears. That makes me think it's somehow connected to the neutral safety switch that only lets you start the car in Park or Neutral. However, if that switch was faulty, the fuse wouldn't blow unless something was shorting in the center console. I haven't investigated that yet. Otherwise, the TCM itself may be causing the problem.

The dealer's workaround? Put a 25 amp fuse in. I kid you not. It works now. Occasionally the car won't start, but if I turn the key completely off and then back on again, the car will start the 2nd or 3rd time around. That fuse hasn't blown yet.

There's no reason in hell the starter should blow the fuse for the starter RELAY. I still don't know what's going on.

#4 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 06:03 PM

I was afraid of that. What kills me is it's not doing it everytime bout every 2 or 3 days, go to start it....nothing.....replace the fuse...starts right up and goes...... If the starter was kapoot...I would believe it would happen as I tried to crank it, not after it has set not running. When you put the keys in..nothing..no crank no nothing

#5 nstenz

nstenz

CAN HAZ TURBO???

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 06:23 PM

I'm positive it's blowing when you start it.

After you replace the fuse, you should be able to turn the key forward to 'run' and the gauges will light up and such.

As soon as you turn the key to 'start', though, you should hear a 'pop', then have half of your interior that's on that same fuse go dark.

Turn the key slowly and verify that.

#6 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 07:34 PM

Did that dude.....strangest thing I've seen. You start it....nothing goes down or ect. It sets ands decides it's gonna blow. I realize what your saying, with the added ampere draw while starting and ect, but I have full power of everything when it starts. When it doesn't...it just doesn't have anything from the get go..put the key in..don't even have the key buzzer or nothing...zilch...till you replace the fuse. :lol:

#7 nstenz

nstenz

CAN HAZ TURBO???

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 11:36 PM

Odd. That sounds like an actual short in the wiring then, not my screwed-up problem. Everybody else so far seems to have had the exact same symptoms as me.

#8 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 11:42 AM

I finally got my paws on a haynes manual. Strangest thing is that that fuse is HOTall the time. From what I was able to decipher in the wiring diagram it feeds the Fuel Pump relay, which in turn feeds the fuel pump. Also the other side of the relay goes to Fuse #10, which is only hot in run or start mode.

What I did, upon suggestions from here, I swapped out the relay with A/C relay, and cleaned the contacts, before I reinserted the fuse and relays. When I pulled the relay it was rather warm. I aslo checked the continuity between the poles on the fuel relay and they matched the ohms that the book suggested as well as with the A/C relay. My only other conclusion is the fuel filter may be getting plugged and need replaced as since it's hot all the time, trying to keep the pressure built up, or there's a fuel leak....but I don't see nor smell fuel. It seems to do it setting overnight..like 10 -16 hrs.

I did although, come across a couple of weird things. or at least in my minds eye wierd, why in the heck would dodge make that leg HOT all of the time. It's a fuel system for gods sake.....If I was the engineer, I wouldn't of made it hot till start and run. Also I was looking @ the wiring diagram for a 1996 stratus by mistake, quite strange though, it appeared that part of the #8 fuse is tapped off of the power steering pump pressure sensor. My guess if there would be little or no fluid in it it wouldn't let it start. That made totally no sense to me what so ever. What the heck that has to do with the fuel system, I have no clue. :yes:

#9 Madstyle

Madstyle

Darkside MotorSports

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 11:59 AM

I dunno i had the same problem.. My Starter was shorted and i had a bad iginition relay replaced em and been fine ever since thats 2 months ago..

#10 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 03:11 PM

I'll see tommaro morning if that helped or hindered it. As of lately, it's starting to happen every morning. It may be the starter, but I can't see the connection in the wiring diagram to the starter. I may have to drop the starter and ohm it to see if it has a shorted winding next. <_<

#11 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 11:04 AM

It appears after 2 days the problem went away. It appears that by cleaning the contacts and switching the fuel pump relay seems to have solved it. Must be the contacts on the relay must be near welded together and were sticking. I'll find out when I manage to get another relay. BTW - It appears that these relays are a dealer only part, as I stopped in @ NAPA and Auto Zone....no such luck. Any ideas on what the privalege to buy from the dealer is go :doink: ing to be?

#12 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 04:16 PM

Ok, Madstyle...back to where I started....Must be the starter and ignition relay.....it came back with a vengance. As soon as it goes to the start position .....it pops it. I was unable to determine this until today as she drives the car all the time, and went by what she was telling me....unfortunatly.... :yes: My question is where is the ignition relay located?

#13 nstenz

nstenz

CAN HAZ TURBO???

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:49 PM

The ignition relay is in the power distribution center under the hood. The front cover of the PDC is where all of the fuses are. Between that and the big bolt where the positive cable comes from the battery is a smaller cover with 4 relays under it. That's where you're looking.

I doubt it's the relay, though.

My car didn't want to start again tonight. I tried 4 times and got nothing. On a hunch, I tried to to shift the car out of park. It wouldn't go with the key turned to 'Run'; it just clicked a relay or something. It sounded like it was coming from the dash. These cars don't normally do that. Now I have to find out where that pop was.

It just makes me think more and more that my range selector switch is somehow involved.

#14 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:42 AM

Well, the car is on it's 3rd day after replacing the starter and all is well. I went on a hunch on replacing the starter as once I seen that it was thourghly encompassed by the header pipe, and looked like it was kept pretty warm all the times. BTW - I think I'm in the wrong line of work. It has a mini hi tork starter..a denso..I believe. The cheapest place was auto zone, not to mention the only place that had it in stock. At $180.00 later....and that wasn't including the core charge....rebuilt no less. Somebody is making some serious money out of that part. ^_^
Also I did find the Ignition relay....once I took 3 quarters of the enigine compartment out in air cleaner plastic. My god......I dont think that really needed that much air cleaner compartments......... :)

Edited by Fastrthanaspdingtkt, 11 November 2003 - 11:46 AM.

#15 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 12:11 AM

I thought I would drop by and post the results of the starter for My 1999 Dodge Stratus 2.4 DOHC blowing the #8 Fuse => Ing / Fuel Starter fuse under the hood. We're @ 2 weeks + and still starting fine, apparently the starter seems to have been the issue......Thanks for the Help guys... :no:

#16 Madstyle

Madstyle

Darkside MotorSports

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:14 AM

I thought I would drop by and post the results of the starter for My 1999 Dodge Stratus 2.4 DOHC blowing the #8 Fuse => Ing / Fuel Starter fuse under the hood. We're @ 2 weeks + and still starting fine, apparently the starter seems to have been the issue......Thanks for the Help guys... :)

Cool, glad ya found the Culprit which is most often the Starter and or Ignition relays together that would short and cuase the Ign/Fuel fuse to pop..

Edited by Madstyle, 19 November 2003 - 10:19 AM.

#17 Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Fastrthanaspdingtkt

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:50 AM

The only thing that thru me was that the wiring diagram didn't show the starter circuit connected to the fuel pump ckt. It did however show that the fuel pump ckt., Fuse #8, was live all the time...whether it was running, starting, or off. I think because of the fact it was live all of the time it was getting feedback, extra amps, from the shorted winding on the starter and would blow the fuse. I guess haynes isn't completely accurate...... :) .....lolololol