Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  Dylan214 : (31 October 2014 - 09:12 AM) I am down for a meet.
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:10 PM) Just checking out the sphere, first time in a couple months ;)
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:08 PM) Not sure if Stratuscaster has any ideas to kick around yet, but thought would put it out there
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:06 PM) This is in response to the Meet threat. I know its a way off until next summer, but
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:06 PM) anyone interested in a Michigan Meet
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:05 PM) polstar
@  Dylan214 : (28 October 2014 - 10:01 AM) all data?
@  Dylan214 : (28 October 2014 - 09:58 AM) Who is the guy that needs the heater core replacement?
@  KennyL : (28 October 2014 - 09:04 AM) Ah, the Geo Storm. There's a beast. Heh. Excellent economy cars, in all seriousness. And very reliable and cheap to work on. Just don't attempt to pass anyone. :)
@  Dylan214 : (28 October 2014 - 08:40 AM) lol
@  Stratuscaster : (28 October 2014 - 08:34 AM) 350Z ride is too damn harsh. Rode like my old Geo Storm, which rode like a go-kart.
@  theronz : (28 October 2014 - 04:49 AM) yes kenny, an even 1" drop all around. anything more involves camber issuues($$$)
@  theronz : (28 October 2014 - 04:36 AM) its ok, most chrysler owners feel that same way. but bitches love a fast, LUXURY car duh.
@  99ninjabreeze : (27 October 2014 - 01:48 PM) maaaan I'd pick a 350z over a G any day!!! lol
@  KennyL : (27 October 2014 - 03:40 AM) I imagine the G35 ones are more for ride than handling, since it's the "lux" brand.
@  KennyL : (27 October 2014 - 03:40 AM) Cheap modification for a little lower and more sporty, I'm assuming?
@  theronz : (26 October 2014 - 07:52 PM) i just now swapped 350z springs into my g35 yayyyy
@  theronz : (26 October 2014 - 07:46 PM) you got it
@  99ninjabreeze : (26 October 2014 - 09:26 AM) -1

Photo

How long to reset after battery disconnect? (Emissions)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vw.fe2o3

vw.fe2o3

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

Trying to get emission testing and the tech is getting "not ready" codes. I had the battery out replacing some wiring and was thinking this is what knocked me out. I suppose I need to drive the car a while, but how long is long enough to get the computer "ready" for emission testing?? I have no owners manual and my repair manual hasn't yielded the info.

Thanks!

#2 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,936 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

"Not ready" could indicate an ECU failure as well, in which case no amount of time would fix it.

#3 1swtbrz

1swtbrz

one of a kind stroker build up in progress

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

thats incorrect. not ready means you need to complete specific drive cycles for all of the emission controls to complete their self test. once that is done it will be ready. if you have $130 go to sears or auto zone and buy the innova 1003 code scanner. it will tell you wich sensors have completed the self test and wich ones have not. for the ones that have not, you can look in the owners manual and it will tell you how you need to drive to get it to do its test. normally 1-2 days of driving in your normal habits will put everything in the ready status.

the only problem is that every time you dissconnect the battery or use a scanner to erase the codes it gonna put it in the "OBD not ready" status until all the emmission control systems have finished self testing

#4 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,936 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

Technically I was correct - if the ECU is bad, time would never correct it. A new ECU would. :lol:

But thanks for the much better answer and explanation. :whistle:

#5 1swtbrz

1swtbrz

one of a kind stroker build up in progress

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

Technically I was correct - if the ECU is bad, time would never correct it. A new ECU would. :lol:

But thanks for the much better answer and explanation. :whistle:

score;
1swtbrz= 1
caster= 1

#6 vw.fe2o3

vw.fe2o3

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

thats incorrect. not ready means you need to complete specific drive cycles for all of the emission controls to complete their self test. once that is done it will be ready. if you have $130 go to sears or auto zone and buy the innova 1003 code scanner. it will tell you wich sensors have completed the self test and wich ones have not. for the ones that have not, you can look in the owners manual and it will tell you how you need to drive to get it to do its test. normally 1-2 days of driving in your normal habits will put everything in the ready status.

the only problem is that every time you dissconnect the battery or use a scanner to erase the codes it gonna put it in the "OBD not ready" status until all the emmission control systems have finished self testing

I definitely like the sound of this answer over Stratuscaster!! :whistle:
Ok, I'll run it through the motions and take it back. I get unlimited retests for my $25 fee, so I'll just use their machine until I pass.

By the way, I'm a cloud newb. I picked this 96 up a few weeks ago for a great deal from a family friend. So far, total investment is under $300 and hoping to run this baby for many miles.

Thanks for the help guys!