Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  BeaterStatus : (20 August 2014 - 06:41 PM) lol
@  Dylan214 : (20 August 2014 - 09:31 AM) Hi guys, Sorry been swamp and At def con
@  KennyL : (20 August 2014 - 06:21 AM) https://www.facebook....culp.7?fref=ts
@  theronz : (20 August 2014 - 05:14 AM) not too good at facebook, but i think if you look for ron culp in south bend IN, you can see some pics of my G. maybe some of my wife naked IDK. lemme know what you see.
@  borgwarrior : (16 August 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh, so that's it. I have that :)
@  Stratuscaster : (15 August 2014 - 04:09 PM) JA Service Manual
@  borgwarrior : (15 August 2014 - 01:47 PM) Is the factory service manual available somewhere?
@  KennyL : (15 August 2014 - 11:02 AM) A bit more in depth: The Haynes manual was hashed out by a company that dis-assembled and re-assembled a car all while writing it out. The Factory Service Manual was written by the people who built and engineered the car and was designed to be used by factory service technicians. You'd be hard pressed to come up with something the FSM doesn't have, while the Haynes sometimes has errors and does not list things in a clear manner.
@  Stratuscaster : (15 August 2014 - 07:04 AM) It's certainly not as complete as the FSM from Chrysler - good to have as a reference, but not the be-all/end-all.
@  borgwarrior : (15 August 2014 - 12:02 AM) Uuh, why is haynes ######? just curious, helped me more than once, altough I'm not exactly the mechanic type
@  Dylan214 : (14 August 2014 - 09:48 AM) lol
@  Stratuscaster : (14 August 2014 - 06:52 AM) Not true - I've shimmed a wobbly table with one, so it is useful in that regard.
@  BeaterStatus : (13 August 2014 - 11:31 PM) Good for toilet paper and not much else
@  BeaterStatus : (13 August 2014 - 11:31 PM) Haynes is ######

Photo

How long to reset after battery disconnect? (Emissions)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vw.fe2o3

vw.fe2o3

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

Trying to get emission testing and the tech is getting "not ready" codes. I had the battery out replacing some wiring and was thinking this is what knocked me out. I suppose I need to drive the car a while, but how long is long enough to get the computer "ready" for emission testing?? I have no owners manual and my repair manual hasn't yielded the info.

Thanks!

#2 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,916 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

"Not ready" could indicate an ECU failure as well, in which case no amount of time would fix it.

#3 1swtbrz

1swtbrz

one of a kind stroker build up in progress

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

thats incorrect. not ready means you need to complete specific drive cycles for all of the emission controls to complete their self test. once that is done it will be ready. if you have $130 go to sears or auto zone and buy the innova 1003 code scanner. it will tell you wich sensors have completed the self test and wich ones have not. for the ones that have not, you can look in the owners manual and it will tell you how you need to drive to get it to do its test. normally 1-2 days of driving in your normal habits will put everything in the ready status.

the only problem is that every time you dissconnect the battery or use a scanner to erase the codes it gonna put it in the "OBD not ready" status until all the emmission control systems have finished self testing

#4 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,916 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

Technically I was correct - if the ECU is bad, time would never correct it. A new ECU would. :lol:

But thanks for the much better answer and explanation. :whistle:

#5 1swtbrz

1swtbrz

one of a kind stroker build up in progress

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

Technically I was correct - if the ECU is bad, time would never correct it. A new ECU would. :lol:

But thanks for the much better answer and explanation. :whistle:

score;
1swtbrz= 1
caster= 1

#6 vw.fe2o3

vw.fe2o3

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

thats incorrect. not ready means you need to complete specific drive cycles for all of the emission controls to complete their self test. once that is done it will be ready. if you have $130 go to sears or auto zone and buy the innova 1003 code scanner. it will tell you wich sensors have completed the self test and wich ones have not. for the ones that have not, you can look in the owners manual and it will tell you how you need to drive to get it to do its test. normally 1-2 days of driving in your normal habits will put everything in the ready status.

the only problem is that every time you dissconnect the battery or use a scanner to erase the codes it gonna put it in the "OBD not ready" status until all the emmission control systems have finished self testing

I definitely like the sound of this answer over Stratuscaster!! :whistle:
Ok, I'll run it through the motions and take it back. I get unlimited retests for my $25 fee, so I'll just use their machine until I pass.

By the way, I'm a cloud newb. I picked this 96 up a few weeks ago for a great deal from a family friend. So far, total investment is under $300 and hoping to run this baby for many miles.

Thanks for the help guys!