Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  BeaterStatus : (24 July 2014 - 11:51 AM) I need moar welding skillzzz
@  KennyL : (24 July 2014 - 11:25 AM) @Rich, with cutting torches and good welders, anything is possible.
@  KennyL : (24 July 2014 - 04:50 AM) You can have a wife and kids and still mess with cars, but it requires resource micro-management. Most notably time and money spent between the family and hobby.
@  KennyL : (24 July 2014 - 04:49 AM) He's had the wife (well, girlfriend earlier on) the entire time he has had the car. I'd say the child and the turbocharger pitfall were the kickers.
@  Stratuscaster : (23 July 2014 - 02:41 PM) "Life" happened to nstenz - and his lovely wife and child.
@  Dylan214 : (23 July 2014 - 01:58 PM) what happen to Nstez?
@  BeaterStatus : (23 July 2014 - 12:30 PM) I'm finally buying oxygen and acetylene for my Lincoln Electric outfit... because hot knife thru butter
@  KennyL : (23 July 2014 - 09:40 AM) I am kind of curious as to wheather or not he simply quit posting or totally abandoned his turbo project after the "silvastratus" event.
@  KennyL : (23 July 2014 - 09:34 AM) One of them, I do see two sometimes as well. I don't know anything factual, but I have a strange feeling nstenz might be watching still.
@  IRSmart : (22 July 2014 - 10:47 PM) the anon sign in was me
@  BeaterStatus : (21 July 2014 - 01:12 PM) While I may be stealthy, I have nothing to hide here lol
@  borgwarrior : (21 July 2014 - 11:14 AM) Beware of the 2.5l ignition coils - mechanics say. And they were right lol
@  intelon : (21 July 2014 - 10:52 AM) it could be me, I check the forum a lot but I don't post that often
@  KennyL : (21 July 2014 - 04:46 AM) I see at least 1 anonymous user on constantly. Might be one of the web crawler bots that's just not being flagged like Bing is. Or could be some random user that trolls but doesn't post.
@  theronz : (21 July 2014 - 03:58 AM) awww hell now theres 2 anon...havent seen that the 7 yrs i been here lmao!
@  theronz : (21 July 2014 - 03:47 AM) beater do you sign in anonymous cuz it always says 1 anon then you post something lately LOL IS DAT CHEW??
@  BeaterStatus : (21 July 2014 - 03:20 AM) Pictures are working on the site for the latest post. Enjoy the read :)
@  Stratuscaster : (20 July 2014 - 01:02 PM) Indeed.
@  IRSmart : (19 July 2014 - 12:46 PM) Surprised to see that my name is still sponsering the shoutbox after all these years. at least you guys won't forget me lol
@  theronz : (19 July 2014 - 12:45 AM) putting my car back to stock. will be making for sale thread

Photo

How long to reset after battery disconnect? (Emissions)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vw.fe2o3

vw.fe2o3

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

Trying to get emission testing and the tech is getting "not ready" codes. I had the battery out replacing some wiring and was thinking this is what knocked me out. I suppose I need to drive the car a while, but how long is long enough to get the computer "ready" for emission testing?? I have no owners manual and my repair manual hasn't yielded the info.

Thanks!

#2 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

"Not ready" could indicate an ECU failure as well, in which case no amount of time would fix it.

#3 1swtbrz

1swtbrz

one of a kind stroker build up in progress

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

thats incorrect. not ready means you need to complete specific drive cycles for all of the emission controls to complete their self test. once that is done it will be ready. if you have $130 go to sears or auto zone and buy the innova 1003 code scanner. it will tell you wich sensors have completed the self test and wich ones have not. for the ones that have not, you can look in the owners manual and it will tell you how you need to drive to get it to do its test. normally 1-2 days of driving in your normal habits will put everything in the ready status.

the only problem is that every time you dissconnect the battery or use a scanner to erase the codes it gonna put it in the "OBD not ready" status until all the emmission control systems have finished self testing

#4 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

Technically I was correct - if the ECU is bad, time would never correct it. A new ECU would. :lol:

But thanks for the much better answer and explanation. :whistle:

#5 1swtbrz

1swtbrz

one of a kind stroker build up in progress

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

Technically I was correct - if the ECU is bad, time would never correct it. A new ECU would. :lol:

But thanks for the much better answer and explanation. :whistle:

score;
1swtbrz= 1
caster= 1

#6 vw.fe2o3

vw.fe2o3

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

thats incorrect. not ready means you need to complete specific drive cycles for all of the emission controls to complete their self test. once that is done it will be ready. if you have $130 go to sears or auto zone and buy the innova 1003 code scanner. it will tell you wich sensors have completed the self test and wich ones have not. for the ones that have not, you can look in the owners manual and it will tell you how you need to drive to get it to do its test. normally 1-2 days of driving in your normal habits will put everything in the ready status.

the only problem is that every time you dissconnect the battery or use a scanner to erase the codes it gonna put it in the "OBD not ready" status until all the emmission control systems have finished self testing

I definitely like the sound of this answer over Stratuscaster!! :whistle:
Ok, I'll run it through the motions and take it back. I get unlimited retests for my $25 fee, so I'll just use their machine until I pass.

By the way, I'm a cloud newb. I picked this 96 up a few weeks ago for a great deal from a family friend. So far, total investment is under $300 and hoping to run this baby for many miles.

Thanks for the help guys!