Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  KennyL : (26 August 2014 - 08:35 AM) I'm going to study the undercarriage of the car more, anyway. Figure out some seriously solid meant of getting things tied together and reinforced.
@  KennyL : (24 August 2014 - 07:16 PM) I heard it caused weird feel and additional "push" instead of helping. I'd probably just have to try it out, since my suspension setup is so modified already.
@  KennyL : (24 August 2014 - 07:15 PM) I have the front already, and I actually heard bad things about it. Did you notice a negative difference in the front with it?
@  theronz : (24 August 2014 - 09:30 AM) rear lower bar is rusted on lol, and front lower bar is so bent i cant unbolt it. from hitting chunks of ice last winter.
@  KennyL : (24 August 2014 - 04:56 AM) I'd drive up for the engine if I had the cash. Probably not worth the drive just for the rear lower tie bar...heh.
@  theronz : (23 August 2014 - 11:16 PM) everything is just sitting. come take parts off of it! get a deal lol! seriously.
@  theronz : (23 August 2014 - 11:13 PM) suks i cant find time to part my car for you guys. anyone for a package deal? i'm in 46628.
@  sgtmyers88 : (23 August 2014 - 10:16 PM) Aww man sorry to hear that
@  borgwarrior : (23 August 2014 - 10:17 AM) Pictures tomorrow... :(
@  borgwarrior : (23 August 2014 - 10:16 AM) Left doors, and b pillar trashed.
@  Hyper4fx : (23 August 2014 - 08:52 AM) Agree... even shading them really diminishes the brightness.
@  Stratuscaster : (22 August 2014 - 01:46 PM) Why would you want to diminish the already crappy light output of our headlights with covers? :huh:
@  pursuader : (22 August 2014 - 11:46 AM) Several Performance pulleys left !
@  pursuader : (22 August 2014 - 11:45 AM) where to buy headl light covers 1997 dodge stratus?

Photo

"Clunking" noise when turning steering wheel

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,919 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

Within the bit of free play when I turn the wheel, I'm hearing (and feeling, somewhat) a clunk from what appears to be the driver's side front wheel.

When moving over 25MPH, the issue isn't as obvious (if at all). At low speeds, or turning from a stop, it's there.

Thoughts? I've got 144K, so I'm sure I'm due for some work up in the front end.

#2 HachetRizingJX

HachetRizingJX

Down With The Clown

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

Sounds like it could be a tie-rod gone bad.

#3 FUJIM0

FUJIM0

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

checked your lugnuts latley? I had a similar problem when i first got my strat, turns out the drivers front wheel was alittle loose.

#4 moparmaneast

moparmaneast

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

Check the fronted first, namely the swaybar links, if all is tight, check the steering shaft between the rack and the column, there is a tiny u joint there that could have play in it. Just my 2 cents. B)

#5 Stratuslowrider

Stratuslowrider

Only 13 yrs to find a project a car for me and my son!!&

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

Is it more of a clunk or a popping sound. Mine did that at low speeds and it was the outer tie rod had broken and was popping in and out of the control arm. Jon

#6 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,919 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

It's hard to tell, but bothersome enough that I need to get it taken care of ASAP. I'll probably wind up dropping it off at a service shop this week to get an estimate.

#7 nstenz

nstenz

CAN HAZ TURBO???

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

Let me know how it turns out. I think you have the same problem I do.

The convertible has a BIG clunk from the passenger side when turning. Replaced upper and lower ball joints, checked the sway bar, checked the outer tie rod end... can't find anything wrong. It's practically impossible to get at the inner tie rods and steering rack, so I haven't checked those. We haven't been driving it, but our backup car started leaking gas(!), so now Julia pretty much has to. I really wish she'd take the Stratus, but she refuses to spend time practicing driving stick. I'm just afraid it'll let go on the highway one day... and the car has no roof.

#8 projectcloud

projectcloud

Active Member Lvl III

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

LOWER BALL JOINTS!!! mine has been doing the same thing, and that is what it was. and don't buy the parts from the dealer, or from the mechanic, buy them yourself and have someone install them for you. get them off ebay or something. it seems everyones been having this problem lately...

#9 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,919 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

My brother will be taking a look at it this week - we shall see.

#10 LancerE8MR

LancerE8MR

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

when it clunks, does it kinda fight against you as you are turning, for that instant?

if it does, its the same thing mine does, and i've narrowed it down to two things. power steering pump or upper ball joints. I've replaced everything else; all 4 tie rods, lower control arms, sway bar end links, all new bushings, springs, shocks, new fluid in the power steering, new belt.

unless of course, its the entire rack and pinion assembly.

#11 Stratuslowrider

Stratuslowrider

Only 13 yrs to find a project a car for me and my son!!&

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

If it is the outer tie rods, I have a set of OE brand that are brand new, that I dont need. I got them as part of a suspension package when I got my upper ball joints and lower control arms. I also have the inner tie rods too. Jon