Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  borgwarrior : (24 November 2014 - 12:04 PM) Aww cmon, this month is all about annoying faults, today my radio decided to AMP CLIP, and that's it. Speakers, amplifier are good.
@  Low-Speed : (19 November 2014 - 06:54 PM) the diameter on the large and small section of the strut above the perch, as well as the rod diameter
@  Dylan214 : (19 November 2014 - 06:49 PM) What u need? There stock mopar shocks and springs lol
@  Low-Speed : (19 November 2014 - 06:25 PM) I mostly need measurements
@  Dylan214 : (19 November 2014 - 06:01 PM) I put 4 new strut mounts on them. At 55k. The car got 59,619 miles on it
@  Dylan214 : (19 November 2014 - 06:00 PM) I'm still on my stock ones. Ill be changing over this winter so if u need a set.
@  Low-Speed : (19 November 2014 - 05:32 PM) Better yet, is there anyone here with a set of stock shocks out of the car?
@  Low-Speed : (19 November 2014 - 04:10 PM) Kenny - check your facebook
@  Dylan214 : (19 November 2014 - 12:32 PM) no miles on them.
@  Dylan214 : (19 November 2014 - 12:31 PM) I also own a set of Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
@  KennyL : (19 November 2014 - 08:58 AM) Sending a PM Mr. William, I have an idea.
@  KennyL : (19 November 2014 - 08:14 AM) Run the NEX if you're got them, they are much better quality than a slip-on coil-over. You can indipendantly adjust the ride height and the spring pre-load, is the main difference.
@  Dylan214 : (19 November 2014 - 08:05 AM) Being they fell in my lap I own a set of Koni adjustable/coil-over and NEX(Ebay 300$) I am still deciding what ones do I run
@  Low-Speed : (19 November 2014 - 06:56 AM) I just want a set of Maxspeed/DropZone style for now
@  KennyL : (19 November 2014 - 06:19 AM) I didn't think anyone still carried the NEX for this platform, that's good to know. The AMR is far exceptional in quality and custom made for your application. All dependent on budget, and I know yours is slim. The NEX set at that price is cheaper than they were new during the group buy. Probably the best deal in coil-overs to be found.
@  Low-Speed : (19 November 2014 - 05:09 AM) http://www.cooperrac...COILOVER/Detail
@  KennyL : (19 November 2014 - 04:01 AM) Sorry, William, can't let go of mine just yet. I did finally get an email back from AMR engineering, though. He said making a set of high quality coil-overs for the Stratus platform would be "a piece of cake, just another day at the office". $1600 to $1795 shipped. Check out the Neon AMRs, they're top quality. If I could afford a set right now, you'd be getting my Koni adjustable/coil-over setup on the cheap. Heh.
@  borgwarrior : (19 November 2014 - 02:44 AM) Sgtmyers, what do you mean by erratic? The misfires? Those i dont have. I'd try a higher octane fuel first though. I'll ask the club, maybe they have a solution.
@  Low-Speed : (18 November 2014 - 07:16 PM) Anyone have a set of eBay coil sleeves they want to let go cheap?
@  sgtmyers88 : (18 November 2014 - 07:13 PM) Borgwarrior How did you fix your erratic engine problem?

Photo

"Clunking" noise when turning steering wheel

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,946 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

Within the bit of free play when I turn the wheel, I'm hearing (and feeling, somewhat) a clunk from what appears to be the driver's side front wheel.

When moving over 25MPH, the issue isn't as obvious (if at all). At low speeds, or turning from a stop, it's there.

Thoughts? I've got 144K, so I'm sure I'm due for some work up in the front end.

#2 HachetRizingJX

HachetRizingJX

Down With The Clown

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

Sounds like it could be a tie-rod gone bad.

#3 FUJIM0

FUJIM0

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

checked your lugnuts latley? I had a similar problem when i first got my strat, turns out the drivers front wheel was alittle loose.

#4 moparmaneast

moparmaneast

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

Check the fronted first, namely the swaybar links, if all is tight, check the steering shaft between the rack and the column, there is a tiny u joint there that could have play in it. Just my 2 cents. B)

#5 Stratuslowrider

Stratuslowrider

Only 13 yrs to find a project a car for me and my son!!&

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

Is it more of a clunk or a popping sound. Mine did that at low speeds and it was the outer tie rod had broken and was popping in and out of the control arm. Jon

#6 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,946 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

It's hard to tell, but bothersome enough that I need to get it taken care of ASAP. I'll probably wind up dropping it off at a service shop this week to get an estimate.

#7 nstenz

nstenz

CAN HAZ TURBO???

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

Let me know how it turns out. I think you have the same problem I do.

The convertible has a BIG clunk from the passenger side when turning. Replaced upper and lower ball joints, checked the sway bar, checked the outer tie rod end... can't find anything wrong. It's practically impossible to get at the inner tie rods and steering rack, so I haven't checked those. We haven't been driving it, but our backup car started leaking gas(!), so now Julia pretty much has to. I really wish she'd take the Stratus, but she refuses to spend time practicing driving stick. I'm just afraid it'll let go on the highway one day... and the car has no roof.

#8 projectcloud

projectcloud

Active Member Lvl III

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

LOWER BALL JOINTS!!! mine has been doing the same thing, and that is what it was. and don't buy the parts from the dealer, or from the mechanic, buy them yourself and have someone install them for you. get them off ebay or something. it seems everyones been having this problem lately...

#9 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,946 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

My brother will be taking a look at it this week - we shall see.

#10 LancerE8MR

LancerE8MR

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

when it clunks, does it kinda fight against you as you are turning, for that instant?

if it does, its the same thing mine does, and i've narrowed it down to two things. power steering pump or upper ball joints. I've replaced everything else; all 4 tie rods, lower control arms, sway bar end links, all new bushings, springs, shocks, new fluid in the power steering, new belt.

unless of course, its the entire rack and pinion assembly.

#11 Stratuslowrider

Stratuslowrider

Only 13 yrs to find a project a car for me and my son!!&

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

If it is the outer tie rods, I have a set of OE brand that are brand new, that I dont need. I got them as part of a suspension package when I got my upper ball joints and lower control arms. I also have the inner tie rods too. Jon