Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  Stratuscaster : (23 April 2014 - 07:26 AM) AlternaSIM is in Auburn Hills, MI.
@  Dylan214 : (22 April 2014 - 09:03 PM) oh not that bad only 1 day out. lolm
@  Dylan214 : (22 April 2014 - 08:56 PM) Well i got the jeep I could go! car motor and Tranny out of it and won't be done until i figure out what I am doing. lol work been swamp and kinda put her on the back burner. Where is it?
@  KennyL : (21 April 2014 - 06:51 PM) The grand prix would be no issue though. Might have to consider alternaSIM. I say that every year, I'll eventually get to one..heh.
@  KennyL : (21 April 2014 - 06:50 PM) I never actually went, but if I recall correctly cars have been hauled there not running and driving at all, heh. Plus there's always alum attendance and just driving your car anyways. My Stratus would be a safety issue at the moment, I don't feel comfortable driving er that distance without a bit of work.
@  Stratuscaster : (21 April 2014 - 03:29 PM) So? You wouldn't be the first one to show up like that.
@  Dylan214 : (21 April 2014 - 12:26 PM) I would love to go but my car no where near being done/running
@  Dylan214 : (21 April 2014 - 12:25 PM) lol
@  Stratuscaster : (18 April 2014 - 09:46 PM) OK - 2014 SIM and AlternaSIM details posted up...
@  Stratuscaster : (18 April 2014 - 07:46 PM) Good grief. Not so good when you forget your own password to your own site.
@  KennyL : (18 April 2014 - 04:05 PM) Ran the car up and down the driveway, worked the coil-overs and spun the rubber some.
@  KennyL : (18 April 2014 - 04:04 PM) Well, cleaned the inside of the Stratus some today. Had to jump, but she still fires and runs. Also, since it's dried some I was able to rock it out of the holes the front tires were sunk into, heh. Need a good graveled area, can't afford a paved area just yet.
@  BeaterStatus : (18 April 2014 - 01:34 PM) Hey guys, hope life is giving you all time to work on your projects.
@  Dylan214 : (18 April 2014 - 12:27 PM) whats up guys
@  KennyL : (16 April 2014 - 10:41 AM) Really need to sorth through the random junk inside from where the wife and I moved so I can get back to stripping down.
@  KennyL : (16 April 2014 - 10:40 AM) With all the funky rain and snow, my Stratus has sunken somewhat into mud. I might need assistance moving it from its current location, heh. Dad can tug me out, I'm sure. Need to get it fired and roll it a bit again, been a while.

Photo

running slightly rough after timing belt change

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mn stratus

mn stratus

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

Finished the timing belt change, got it all back together and started it up and it was running a little bit rough. My guess is that a cam slipped a notch or half notch. It was running fine when I took the belt off. Its no big deal to tear it apart again, I will be a pro now :)

Any other ideas or you agree that its a notch or half notch off?

#2 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,852 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:31 PM

That would be what I would check first.

#3 mn stratus

mn stratus

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:25 AM

Finally found the time to check the timing. It was off, more than a few notches too. Not sure how it happened, but it did, no use getting worked up over it, better to just get it fixed.

I got the timing set, verified a few times, turned the crank over maybe a dozen times or so, everything was still in time by the marks. Put it all back together and go to start. Nothing.

The starter cranks and the engine won't start now. The starter kicks in and sounds normal for a sec or so then it starts to spin the engine over what seems a little faster than normal. Its odd. I can't find my compression tester, digging through the moving boxes one by one, but putting my finger in the plug hole, I have both suction and compression in all cylinders, so there is something there. I have fuel and spark. Car was running fine before I took it apart, got it back together with the timing a little off, it ran rough. Took it apart a 2nd time, and I almost certain that the timing is now correct, but now the car won't start and sounds funny while turning over.

This is a 1998 2.4l DOHC Stratus SE, just a normal stock and standard car daily runner for work.

From the few bits and pieces that I have found, the 2.4l is a non-interference motor, but I haven't been able to verify that for the year, I just found info that says the 2.4 is non-interference. Can anyone verify?

Any ideas? I will take it apart again to check timing, and if its off, fix it again, but if its on, then what? I am a little perplexed.

Thanks

Edited by mn stratus, 29 October 2008 - 08:35 AM.

#4 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,852 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

The 2.4 is non-interference.

Double check your cam and crank position sensors.

#5 mn stratus

mn stratus

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:37 AM

I just realized I put 1998 (that is my other car), this one is a 2000 :yes: Still non-interference?

What would I be looking for specifically? Wire connectors? Can you test the sensors with an multi-meter? If so do you know the ohm load for each and wires to check?

thanks for the fast reply

Edited by mn stratus, 29 October 2008 - 09:40 AM.

#6 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Radiating awesomeness...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,852 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

Chrysler's 2.4 from 1995 thru 2006 is non-interference.

Specifics on the sensors I do not have. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

#7 Howard33Stratus

Howard33Stratus

Bob33

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

If it has spark you should be able to check timing with a timing light. Why tear it down again? How do you know you've got fuel and spark? If you have both, timing is on the mark, then it should start or run a bit. I'd look for something simple like a wire disconnected or a vacuum line broken, disconnected.

#8 mn stratus

mn stratus

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for all the help. Feel like an idiot, but I had the exhaust cam 180 from where it needed to be. Now I am trying to get the cam notches lined up. What's the trick? Do they have to be level or do they just need to line up? I am trying the half notch below on the exhaust cam like the book says, but since there is no reference mark on the back cover, to me it seems like a half notch starting from where?

Is it any problem to start the vehicle without the crank pulley on to test the timing? When I get the timing set I want to start the car and test it before I put it all back together again, just to find out the timing is still off.

I tell you though, I am good at taking it apart and getting it back together. Getting the timing correct, not so much :)

Edited by mn stratus, 30 October 2008 - 09:03 PM.

#9 pite0007

pite0007

Active Member Lvl III

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

Glad to hear you are getting this worked out...wish I could help more, but I have the V6 and don't know much about the 4's.

Where in MN are you located?

#10 mn stratus

mn stratus

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

North of Bemidji. A little ways from Rochester :)