Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:10 PM) Just checking out the sphere, first time in a couple months ;)
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:08 PM) Not sure if Stratuscaster has any ideas to kick around yet, but thought would put it out there
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:06 PM) This is in response to the Meet threat. I know its a way off until next summer, but
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:06 PM) anyone interested in a Michigan Meet
@  Solo Stratus : (30 October 2014 - 08:05 PM) polstar
@  Dylan214 : (28 October 2014 - 10:01 AM) all data?
@  Dylan214 : (28 October 2014 - 09:58 AM) Who is the guy that needs the heater core replacement?
@  KennyL : (28 October 2014 - 09:04 AM) Ah, the Geo Storm. There's a beast. Heh. Excellent economy cars, in all seriousness. And very reliable and cheap to work on. Just don't attempt to pass anyone. :)
@  Dylan214 : (28 October 2014 - 08:40 AM) lol
@  Stratuscaster : (28 October 2014 - 08:34 AM) 350Z ride is too damn harsh. Rode like my old Geo Storm, which rode like a go-kart.
@  theronz : (28 October 2014 - 04:49 AM) yes kenny, an even 1" drop all around. anything more involves camber issuues($$$)
@  theronz : (28 October 2014 - 04:36 AM) its ok, most chrysler owners feel that same way. but bitches love a fast, LUXURY car duh.
@  99ninjabreeze : (27 October 2014 - 01:48 PM) maaaan I'd pick a 350z over a G any day!!! lol
@  KennyL : (27 October 2014 - 03:40 AM) I imagine the G35 ones are more for ride than handling, since it's the "lux" brand.
@  KennyL : (27 October 2014 - 03:40 AM) Cheap modification for a little lower and more sporty, I'm assuming?
@  theronz : (26 October 2014 - 07:52 PM) i just now swapped 350z springs into my g35 yayyyy
@  theronz : (26 October 2014 - 07:46 PM) you got it
@  99ninjabreeze : (26 October 2014 - 09:26 AM) -1
@  theronz : (24 October 2014 - 02:42 AM) +1

Photo

How to remove front bumper cover?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Owen O'Neal

Owen O'Neal

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

My daughter managed to remove the front license plate and holder by using the left rear quarter of another car... that process damaged the front bumper cover enough that I want to replace it, but I would like to find out what I am getting into before tackling it. Any one who has done so or has an idea of where to get the information, please let me know!

Minor detail - she drives a 99 Stratus, V6, auto.

Edited by Owen O'Neal, 27 November 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#2 TOP STRATUS

TOP STRATUS

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

Under each front fender you got bolt that holding cover in place. Also , you got 3 plastic clamps/pins that holding bumper to the top radiator support . And , you got , i think 6 or so plastic clips/pins under the bumper , that holding it to the bottom radiator support.
I doubt you got to remove bumper cover to put plate holder in place. It was just screwed in to the bumper with large diameter screws.

forgot to mention. Those clips/pins , look like screw at first look. Unscrew the internal screw and then pull external "expendable plug" out. In some cases , you got to pull up internal pin fitst and pull out plug after that.

There is no metal behind plate holder , just a plastic and foam. If holes ripped too large , just move plate holder about 1/2" to the side and screw it to the bumper cover.

You can just bolt plates to the bumper directly. As it done on my car.

#3 Owen O'Neal

Owen O'Neal

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

Under each front fender you got bolt that holding cover in place. Also , you got 3 plastic clamps/pins that holding bumper to the top radiator support . And , you got , i think 6 or so plastic clips/pins under the bumper , that holding it to the bottom radiator support.
I doubt you got to remove bumper cover to put plate holder in place. It was just screwed in to the bumper with large diameter screws.

forgot to mention. Those clips/pins , look like screw at first look. Unscrew the internal screw and then pull external "expendable plug" out. In some cases , you got to pull up internal pin fitst and pull out plug after that.

There is no metal behind plate holder , just a plastic and foam. If holes ripped too large , just move plate holder about 1/2" to the side and screw it to the bumper cover.

You can just bolt plates to the bumper directly. As it done on my car.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick reply - looks like I have another project to add to my list!

#4 TOP STRATUS

TOP STRATUS

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

That the reason why all the femails in my family using public transportation. :)

#5 captainkirk

captainkirk

Active Member Lvl III

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:46 PM

Some of those plastic pins that hold the bumper underneath are a pain in the butt to remove. I took a Stratus bumper off at the yard a few months back, and I ended up having to drill out the center, then pry with a flathead screwdriver and tear with pliers to get them out. I hope you don't much trouble with yours, that way they can be reused.

#6 TOP STRATUS

TOP STRATUS

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

got to use rite size screwdriver. Too small will damage plastic screw and you'll have to drill them out. I made same mistake first time i took bumper off. I was under impression those screws made of metal. :)