Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  KennyL : (18 September 2014 - 06:54 AM) It all depends on where the noise is coming from. The video doesn't really sound like slap, but people also say it's a "neon typical" noise and is caused by the power steering pump, of all things.
@  KennyL : (18 September 2014 - 06:42 AM) Did you have the engine bored to straighten out bores and have it cut to the individual pistons? Therefore, insuring correct piston to wall clearance? If you just honed and used stock replacement pistons and new rings, you might be having more slap due to excessive piston/wall clearances.
@  KennyL : (18 September 2014 - 06:39 AM) Hrm, some comments mention piston slap, which isn't as major. If it were a main or rod bearing you'd know it pretty fast.
@  KennyL : (18 September 2014 - 06:37 AM) I thought it was a collapsed lifter/cam adjuster causing the pecking noise at first, but that's a lot louder under the car...not a good sign for the engine in the video. Can you tell exactly where yours is coming from?
@  Koolguy007 : (17 September 2014 - 07:28 PM) Just rebuilt the engine in a Neon and now I have this exact sound but worse. Has someone encountered this?
@  Dylan214 : (13 September 2014 - 12:56 PM) I should know later tonight on how our Logo stickers are coming.
@  KennyL : (13 September 2014 - 05:46 AM) For that project they're doing initial testing on, the big manned rocket?
@  theronz : (11 September 2014 - 04:56 AM) i made parts this week that are going to Mars. no joke.

Photo

How to remove front bumper cover?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Owen O'Neal

Owen O'Neal

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

My daughter managed to remove the front license plate and holder by using the left rear quarter of another car... that process damaged the front bumper cover enough that I want to replace it, but I would like to find out what I am getting into before tackling it. Any one who has done so or has an idea of where to get the information, please let me know!

Minor detail - she drives a 99 Stratus, V6, auto.

Edited by Owen O'Neal, 27 November 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#2 TOP STRATUS

TOP STRATUS

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

Under each front fender you got bolt that holding cover in place. Also , you got 3 plastic clamps/pins that holding bumper to the top radiator support . And , you got , i think 6 or so plastic clips/pins under the bumper , that holding it to the bottom radiator support.
I doubt you got to remove bumper cover to put plate holder in place. It was just screwed in to the bumper with large diameter screws.

forgot to mention. Those clips/pins , look like screw at first look. Unscrew the internal screw and then pull external "expendable plug" out. In some cases , you got to pull up internal pin fitst and pull out plug after that.

There is no metal behind plate holder , just a plastic and foam. If holes ripped too large , just move plate holder about 1/2" to the side and screw it to the bumper cover.

You can just bolt plates to the bumper directly. As it done on my car.

#3 Owen O'Neal

Owen O'Neal

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

Under each front fender you got bolt that holding cover in place. Also , you got 3 plastic clamps/pins that holding bumper to the top radiator support . And , you got , i think 6 or so plastic clips/pins under the bumper , that holding it to the bottom radiator support.
I doubt you got to remove bumper cover to put plate holder in place. It was just screwed in to the bumper with large diameter screws.

forgot to mention. Those clips/pins , look like screw at first look. Unscrew the internal screw and then pull external "expendable plug" out. In some cases , you got to pull up internal pin fitst and pull out plug after that.

There is no metal behind plate holder , just a plastic and foam. If holes ripped too large , just move plate holder about 1/2" to the side and screw it to the bumper cover.

You can just bolt plates to the bumper directly. As it done on my car.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick reply - looks like I have another project to add to my list!

#4 TOP STRATUS

TOP STRATUS

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

That the reason why all the femails in my family using public transportation. :)

#5 captainkirk

captainkirk

Active Member Lvl III

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:46 PM

Some of those plastic pins that hold the bumper underneath are a pain in the butt to remove. I took a Stratus bumper off at the yard a few months back, and I ended up having to drill out the center, then pry with a flathead screwdriver and tear with pliers to get them out. I hope you don't much trouble with yours, that way they can be reused.

#6 TOP STRATUS

TOP STRATUS

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

got to use rite size screwdriver. Too small will damage plastic screw and you'll have to drill them out. I made same mistake first time i took bumper off. I was under impression those screws made of metal. :)