Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox - sponsored by IRSmart's ToyBox! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

The Shoutbox is not intended for technical discussions. Please post your technical questions in the forums so that everyone can benefit.
@  BeaterStatus : (20 August 2014 - 06:41 PM) lol
@  Dylan214 : (20 August 2014 - 09:31 AM) Hi guys, Sorry been swamp and At def con
@  KennyL : (20 August 2014 - 06:21 AM) https://www.facebook....culp.7?fref=ts
@  theronz : (20 August 2014 - 05:14 AM) not too good at facebook, but i think if you look for ron culp in south bend IN, you can see some pics of my G. maybe some of my wife naked IDK. lemme know what you see.
@  borgwarrior : (16 August 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh, so that's it. I have that :)
@  Stratuscaster : (15 August 2014 - 04:09 PM) JA Service Manual
@  borgwarrior : (15 August 2014 - 01:47 PM) Is the factory service manual available somewhere?
@  KennyL : (15 August 2014 - 11:02 AM) A bit more in depth: The Haynes manual was hashed out by a company that dis-assembled and re-assembled a car all while writing it out. The Factory Service Manual was written by the people who built and engineered the car and was designed to be used by factory service technicians. You'd be hard pressed to come up with something the FSM doesn't have, while the Haynes sometimes has errors and does not list things in a clear manner.
@  Stratuscaster : (15 August 2014 - 07:04 AM) It's certainly not as complete as the FSM from Chrysler - good to have as a reference, but not the be-all/end-all.
@  borgwarrior : (15 August 2014 - 12:02 AM) Uuh, why is haynes ######? just curious, helped me more than once, altough I'm not exactly the mechanic type

Photo

How to remove front bumper cover?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Owen O'Neal

Owen O'Neal

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

My daughter managed to remove the front license plate and holder by using the left rear quarter of another car... that process damaged the front bumper cover enough that I want to replace it, but I would like to find out what I am getting into before tackling it. Any one who has done so or has an idea of where to get the information, please let me know!

Minor detail - she drives a 99 Stratus, V6, auto.

Edited by Owen O'Neal, 27 November 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#2 TOP STRATUS

TOP STRATUS

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

Under each front fender you got bolt that holding cover in place. Also , you got 3 plastic clamps/pins that holding bumper to the top radiator support . And , you got , i think 6 or so plastic clips/pins under the bumper , that holding it to the bottom radiator support.
I doubt you got to remove bumper cover to put plate holder in place. It was just screwed in to the bumper with large diameter screws.

forgot to mention. Those clips/pins , look like screw at first look. Unscrew the internal screw and then pull external "expendable plug" out. In some cases , you got to pull up internal pin fitst and pull out plug after that.

There is no metal behind plate holder , just a plastic and foam. If holes ripped too large , just move plate holder about 1/2" to the side and screw it to the bumper cover.

You can just bolt plates to the bumper directly. As it done on my car.

#3 Owen O'Neal

Owen O'Neal

Just joined...

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

Under each front fender you got bolt that holding cover in place. Also , you got 3 plastic clamps/pins that holding bumper to the top radiator support . And , you got , i think 6 or so plastic clips/pins under the bumper , that holding it to the bottom radiator support.
I doubt you got to remove bumper cover to put plate holder in place. It was just screwed in to the bumper with large diameter screws.

forgot to mention. Those clips/pins , look like screw at first look. Unscrew the internal screw and then pull external "expendable plug" out. In some cases , you got to pull up internal pin fitst and pull out plug after that.

There is no metal behind plate holder , just a plastic and foam. If holes ripped too large , just move plate holder about 1/2" to the side and screw it to the bumper cover.

You can just bolt plates to the bumper directly. As it done on my car.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick reply - looks like I have another project to add to my list!

#4 TOP STRATUS

TOP STRATUS

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

That the reason why all the femails in my family using public transportation. :)

#5 captainkirk

captainkirk

Active Member Lvl III

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:46 PM

Some of those plastic pins that hold the bumper underneath are a pain in the butt to remove. I took a Stratus bumper off at the yard a few months back, and I ended up having to drill out the center, then pry with a flathead screwdriver and tear with pliers to get them out. I hope you don't much trouble with yours, that way they can be reused.

#6 TOP STRATUS

TOP STRATUS

Active Member Lvl II

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

got to use rite size screwdriver. Too small will damage plastic screw and you'll have to drill them out. I made same mistake first time i took bumper off. I was under impression those screws made of metal. :)